In my experience in America, obstetricians come from an education and training that focuses on diagnosis and treatment of disease.  That is why they are always looking for the complications in pregnancy and childbirth.  We, the midwives, come from a perspective of fostering and supporting a physiological process, i.e., that which women have the inherent ability to do well.  They are 2 different perspectives that I think are mutually exclusive, except in the hands of individuals who understand them and are able to go back and forth depending on the needs of the women.

Given the dominant medical model here in the US, that I think is being adopted in many countries, it is a constant challenge to remain true to the midwifery model of care.

And I think Jane presented the reality of our times re populism.  Pat