Jo, I agree this would be ideal, but I seriously doubt the creation of a tick chart related to risk of falls will do anything other than restrict many womens movements (anyone who has had pethidine/epidural/forceps/a cs/ a small baby/ a big baby &etc &etc) will probably be advised not to move from their bed or a chair, and definitely not to move anywhere with their baby in their arms unless they have someone with them - (and given the lack of staff that will be almost never)  so that hospitals dont have any liability if they fall. I would be astonished if this kind of beurocratic management initiative has much to do with improving services for women - though Im probably turning into an old cynic!! Laura, do you know what the intention is?

All the best\

Soo

From: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of PAULEY, Tara (NORTHAMPTON GENERAL HOSPITAL NHS TRUST) <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, April 8, 2019 12:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: prevention of postnatal mother and baby falls in hospital: risk assessment and tools

Sounds to me like the clinical nursing indicator of ‘Falls’ has been inappropriately applied within a maternity setting....!?

I would suggest trying to explain such an indicator is not fit for purpose within this setting and highlight other midwifery indicators that are far more relevant in terms of providing assurance more appropriate for the government agenda?  Presumably they are looking at quality / safety within this agenda...

Tara

Tara Pauley
Associate Director -

Pathway to Excellence Lead®