 From what I have seen, Meg, such stones vary from smallish to very
small, indeed. Four cm long would not be terribly unusual-- the stone
just had to be there.
The Ottonian Gertrudis Altar is well represented on the museum's web
site: <http://clevelandart.org/art/1931.462#>. To get a sense of scale,
see
<https://projects.mcah.columbia.edu/treasuresofheaven/relics/video/index.php>,
fourth down on the left. As you see, its porphyry stone takes up nearly
the whole top of the altar, but is still fairly small. The relics were
inside the box of the altar (see "alternate views"), so they leave no
mark on the stone.
See also a portable altar in the Met,
<https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/478606>
The stone on the Stavelot Altar is, at least judging by those I have
seen, more typical. The width of the whole altar is 17 cm.
<http://www.kornbluthphoto.com/StavelotAltar.html>  Again, the relic
cavity is below the stone.
Also one in Berlin,
<https://www.smb.museum/en/whats-new/detail/beratende-kommission-empfiehlt-keine-rueckgabe-des-welfenschatzes.html>
And another, for which the BM gives enough views to allow a good sense
of structure:
<https://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details/collection_image_gallery.aspx?assetId=36026001&objectId=51032&partId=1#more-views>
Likewise the Arnulf Ciborium, stone centered in the base; last image
with person for scale:
<http://www.kornbluthphoto.com/CarolingianMetalwork2.html>
I have proposed that a flattish rectangular Carolingian rock crystal
engraved with the Baptism may have been an altar stone.
<http://www.kornbluthphoto.com/RouenBaptism.html>
David, thanks for the Budde reference-- I haven't worked on this topic
since the 90s!
best,
Genevra