*Apologies for cross posting*

This week we conclude our "European Animation" theme with a post by Jared Taylor on 10X10, a project initiated at Edinburgh College of Art, that each year brings animators and composers from a range of European universities together in a virtualized collaborative process. You can read his post here: https://blog.animationstudies.org/?p=2972

Please feel free to join in the conversation by commenting the post in the blog's comment section. To be able to closely follow the conversation you can also subscribe to the comments of this (and just this) post here: https://blog.animationstudies.org/?page_id=99999&srp=2972&srk=093cbf3bba2b38e8993c7804ff38aad8&sra=s&srsrc=f

Finally, don't forget to check out the CFP for our April theme, "Animals and Animation". Deadline for submissions is April 20th, 2019. You can find the full CFP below.

Best wishes,
Cristina

Dr. Cristina Formenti
Co-editor of Animation Studies 2.0

Follow us on twitter @anistudies

Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/SocietyForAnimationStudies?ref=hl

CFP Animals and Animation, April theme

(Deadline: April 20th, 2019)

As Paul Wells points out in his monograph The Animated Bestiary: Animals, Cartoon and Culture, “the animal is an essential component of the language of animation” that we tend to give for granted (Wells 2009: 2). In order to encourage the development of a reflection on this aspect, we thus invite posts looking at the relationship existing between nonhuman animals and animation from any perspective. Why animals often have and have had a status of leading dramatis personae within animated works? How are race, gender and class portrayed within the representation of animated animals? Are there different approaches among the animation studios in using animal characters within their productions? These are only some of the questions we seek to find answer through our April’s theme.

Topics may include, but are not limited to:

-       - Representing nonhuman animals in animated works;

-       - Animation studios and the different approaches to the employment of animals;

-       - Animated animals and stardom;

-       - Animation, animals and anthropomorphism;

-      -  Voicing animated animals;

-      -  Animated animals and race discourses;

-       - The gender politics of animated animals;

-       - Animated animals and the portrayal of class.

Posts of between 600 and 900 words, which discuss any aspect of the above topic are welcome. Contributors are encouraged to include clips and at least one image to support their posts. Please also include a short bio and 3 keywords. All permissions are the responsibility of the contributor. Please contact the editors Nichola Dobson ([log in to unmask]) and Cristina Formenti ([log in to unmask]) with submissions or questions.