Ancestry is a good start. I use it often, and find it intuitive, but...

I find Ancestry is lacking when doing house history research and
street/community histories. It doesn’t manage non-familial relationships,
such as domestic servants or neighbours, at all. And there are no tools to
find people from a known address, even though Ancestry has the data already
indexed. On the plus side, a tree can be exported as a GEDCOM file, for use
in other tools.

Heritage organisations like Yvonne’s (and the one I volunteer at) want help
presenting multiple family data as interlocking communities. That’s to
answer questions like “Who lived in this house?”, and “What became of the
families who lived on this street?”.

If any readers know of tools for organising multiple unrelated trees, that
would be really helpful. I’m minded to have a go at developing such a tool
myself, but it’d be an effort!

Matthew Shaw