Hi Rachael,

I've been using the Zoom H4n with an external microphone and have just bought the Zoom H5. This model has been superceded by the new Zoom H4nPro which I am told is better. The Zoom models all have internal mics but it is recommended you use external ones with XLR connectors. Look for the windjammer for the type of microphone you do choose to lessen wind noise.

As Richard says, check out the advice on the Oral History Society website
https://www.ohs.org.uk/advice/getting-started/3/#audio

Also check out US-based oral historian, Doug Boyd's website at http://digitalomnium.com/

Contact the Oral History Society if your group needs training: https://www.ohs.org.uk/training/

See advice below from other oral historians to a similar inquiry recently about equipment and suggested suppliers (although I haven't used these myself).

https://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/  have the Zoom H4nPro at £179 (which we are tending to recommend over the H5) and also the Tascam DR40 (which we haven’t used but which gets good reports). They also have SUPERLUX WO-518XLR Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier (Tie-Clip) Microphone at £69 each. I haven’t used this mike but it’s XLR with phantom power and is omnidirectional rather than cardioid so should have fewer ‘breathing’ and handling noise. The Zoom onboard mikes are fine in the right hands with the right training and with a tripod to minimise handling noise. In the wrong hands, with levels poorly set and poorly placed they won’t give the best results and an external mike might do better. As we know it’s all about training whichever recorder you go for.

Suppliers:

Pinknoise Systems: http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/ They are based in Gloucestershire and stock most the models which we tend to recommend: http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/small-hand-held.html  They also offer a telephone advice line.

 Canford Audio: https://www.canford.co.uk/ Have been going for years, based in Washington in the North East. Excellent for microphones and other accessories, and they also seem to stock all the main portable recorders (https://www.canford.co.uk/Search?q=Portable+recorders).

 Studio Spares: https://www.studiospares.com/  Mainly a pro supplier but they stock the main portable recorders (https://www.studiospares.com/search.aspx?pi=2&eaSearch=portable%20recorders).

Hope this helps.

best wishes,
Padmini