The Centre for Caribbean and Diaspora Studies (CCDS) in collaboration with the National Maritime Museum will host its fourth ‘Diasporic Dialogues’ conference on 8th – 9th July 2019.

The deadline for poetry readings, performances, panel and paper proposals is 8th May 2019. CCDS’ Diasporic Dialogue conference series aims to extend our understanding of diaspora, to connect diasporas and, in the process, to forge new critical directions. This year, we take up questions of slavery, about which, notably, UK universities have been overwhelmingly silent. Nonetheless, the recent ground-breaking UK report, ‘Slavery, Abolition and the University of Glasgow’ centralises concerns with facing an institutional history embedded in the profits of Atlantic slavery (Mullen and Newman 2018). Key to the present day, the authors argue, is ‘how we intend to use our knowledge of this past’ in a “Programme of reparative justice.”  Given the UK’s history of prestigious institutions and their entanglement with the ‘profits of racial slavery’ alongside its centuries-long established black presence, this conference intends to a) question practices that serve to inhibit  such necessary intellectual labour b) connect related theorising and practice, especially that centring the Caribbean region, North America, Africa and Europe and c) bring into relation the past centred on slavery, the present built on continued racial inequalities normalised through practices of slavery and colonialism, and the future burdened, already, with pressing issues of restorative justice and equity.

The RHS’ Race, Ethnicity and Equality in UK History (2018) rightly points to studies that have ‘extensively documented the persistence of racial and ethnic inequality in UK universities’. While the silence of History departments cannot be ignored, this conference is interested in interrogating the role of the Humanities as a whole in maintaining a complicit silence. Bringing past, present and future, diasporic spaces and home together, our focus on Atlantic slavery and its afterlives seeks also to question anxieties suggesting consideration of slavery as backward-looking, particularly in ‘post-racial’ times.

While centralising the place of the humanities in our deliberations, we wish to invite proposals from scholars in any discipline interested to explore critical, theoretical, and creative questions in relation to the Caribbean and its diasporas. We particularly welcome North-South and South-South intersections and/or dialogues. We welcome papers that are interdisciplinary and / or stretch the limits of this theme to include a range of forms of cultural expression including music, visual arts and digital technology. We warmly welcome interest from postgraduate and early-career researchers in the field.

Possible topics for consideration include but are not limited to the following:

• Knowledge(s) of Slavery and Decolonising Methodologies for the University
• Gender, Sexualities, Representation and Slavery
• Caribbean Imaginaries, ‘Relation’ and Conditions of Cultural Production
• Activism and Vision – Past and Present
• Slavery, Languages of Justice, Creolisation, Diaspora and Region
• Theoretical Discourse and the Creole Cultural Artefact
• Oral Word/ Written Word/ Visual Art/ Verbal Art
• Towards an Inclusive Humanities
• Legacies of Slavery, Absences, Trauma and the Gendered Body
• Connecting Diasporas/ Global connectivity
• Windrush Legacies and histories
• Diversity, Europe and the Black Atlantic/Black Pacific
• Views of the Diaspora from Caribbean and other Harbours
• Race/ Racism/ Institution/ Social Justice
• Colonial/ Imperial legacies, Visibility and Voice
• New Literacies centring the Caribbean/ diaspora

Proposal/ Submission Deadline: 8th May 2019

Notification of Acceptance: 17th May 2019

Abstracts

Submit an individual proposal of not more than 250 words and a brief biography (100 words) with full details including institutional affiliation. Complete panel proposals (250 word overview + 250 word abstracts for the papers + brief CVs) to the conference email. Both Abstracts and Bios are required. Please send both to the Conference Committee at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Dr Marl'ene Edwin SFHEA, FRSA

Deputy Director | Churchill Fellow

Centre for Caribbean and Diaspora Studies (CCDS)

Goldsmiths, University of London

New Cross

London, SE14 6NW

T: 020 7919 7402