Dear Rosarie & LIS-Bibliometrics,

I am very late to this email thread. I have been on maternity leave and am
just now returning this week. I wanted to let you know that Virginia Tech
has formed a couple of groups recently that have overlapped. I started my
position, which is newly created, in September last year, and one of my
goals was to form a working group and to eventually approach Faculty Senate
(FS) about surveying the faculty on how their research is assessed. Things
took off faster than expected, and after forming the group, I was
approached by someone who is chairing a new FS committee on the assessment
of faculty research/scholarship. We found out we had the same ideas and
goals, and so I designed the rough draft of a survey right before my
daughter was born and my maternity leave started. It had to go through
edits from the committee and our internal working group and then
approval/exemption from the IRB, so it just got distributed last week. I
will be analyzing the results of the survey next week. Essentially, this
online survey asks:

   - The types of methods and practices faculty employ when assessing their
   research
   - Why they use these methods and practices (i.e., is it to satisfy their
   own curiosity? Is it for tenure and promotion? and so on)
   - What types of metrics and profile systems they use

There's more to the survey than the bullets listed, but this gives a
general overview. In addition to surveying the faculty, the internal
library working group will be evaluating research assessment products
currently in use at Virginia Tech, which include:

   - Products
      - Scopus / SciVal / Funding Institutional
      - Web of Science / InCites
      - 1Findr
      - (Dimensions - free version)
   - Things to evaluate
      - What content / disciplines do they cover
      - What metrics are included and what are the methodologies
      - How transparent is each in describing their content sourcing,
      metric creation
      - How user-friendly are they - for individual authors / for dept
      level reporting / for institutional information / etc.

Our groups and projects are still really new and just starting, but I'd
thought I share this! It would be useful to know what other librarians and
institutions have found doing similar projects.

Sincerely,
Rachel

--
Rachel Miles