Dear all,

We are delighted to announce the Easter term programme of the Cambridge Interdisciplinary Performance Network, on the theme of The (Im)perfect Body. This term, we carry on our focus on Classics, while exploring the social and normative frameworks of the body and bodily performances. A list of events can be found below, and further details on our website http://www.crassh.cam.ac.uk/programmes/performance-network <http://www.crassh.cam.ac.uk/programmes/performance-network>.

We would be very excited to see many of you at our events this term and would be grateful if you could please pass on our term card and very warm invitation to anyone who may be interested. All are welcome to attend and no previous registration is required.

We begin next week on Tuesday April 30 in the Judith E. Wilson Drama Studio (note: special venue) for a session that will touch on dance, ancient theatre, and music, on the topic of "The Body as Machine".

We hope to see you there!

Antonia, Naomi, Maria, Matthew and Valerio

The CIPN Convenor Team 2018-2019

PERFORMANCE AND THE BODY
The (Im)Perfect Body: the grotesque versus the ideal

This term focuses on the social and normative frameworks of the body and bodily performances and aspires to trace the very limits of the idea of the human form. What bodies register as grotesque or ideal, real or artificial? How are (were) these concepts employed to serve different agendas across a variety of social and ideological settings?

Sessions are held in Seminar Room SG1 in the Alison Richard Building unless differently advertised.

30th April
The Body as Machine: From Technology in Antiquity to Virtual Reality in Contemporary Dance

Maria Gerolemou (Classics, Exeter)
Einav Katan-Schmid (Performance Philosophy, Dancer)
David Trippett (Music, Cambridge)

special venue: Judith E. Wilson Drama Studio, Faculty of English

7 May
Fragmented Bodies: Articulating Social Gaps and Physical Pain

Hande Güzel (Sociology, Cambridge)
Daniel King (Classics, Exeter)

14 May
How Does Canon Shape Culture?

Margarete Litvin (Arabic and Comparative Literature, Boston)
Erica Wickerson (Department of German and Dutch, Cambridge)

4 June
Grotesque(ing) Bodies

Nancy Worman (Classics, Columbia University)
Karen Throsby (Sociology and Social Policy, Leeds)
Marina Galetaki (Classics, Bristol)

About CIPN
The Cambridge Interdisciplinary Performance Network (CIPN) brings together people from a wide variety of different backgrounds in Cambridge and beyond to explore the idea of performance as a concept, from music and literary studies to history, anthropology, architecture and medicine. CIPN strives to foster exchange on the potential of performance to engender dialogue across conventionally separated cultural categories, practices and disciplines.

--

Antonia Marie Reinke (née Schrader)
PhD Candidate in Classics

Archive of list messages may be found at:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/classicsgrads
Visit the same site to change your subscription settings.
All queries regarding the list should be directed to: