Dear Sam,

Cutting out reflections obviously means you lose information. If you are using dials to process your data, then an alternative would be to try the ice ring background modelling algorithm which may give you better results.

Taking the output of dials.integrate you can do this as follows:

dials.model_background integrated_experiments.json

dials.integrate refined.pickle integrated_experiments.json \

  background.algorithm=gmodel \

  background.gmodel.model=background.pickle

Then scale as normal.

You can also use auspex to look at your scaled intensities to see if the ice rings are causing systematic errors.

Best wishes

James