This falls in the normal range of occipital profiles. See Alfredo Riedel's paper The Austrian "Blondvieh" cattle horncores - an archaeological view Plate 1 Fig 7. In Skeletons in her Cupboard Festschrift for Juliet Clutton-Brock, Oxbow Monograph 34.

Also look at Caroline Grigson's papers in J Arch Sci c. 1974.

________________________________
From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Julia Cusssans <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 14 March 2019 15:05:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ZOOARCH] Malformed cattle skull

Hello All,

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might have caused the deformation seen in this cattle skull /horn core (see photos in Dropbox link)? Botched polling or something congenital maybe? Any thoughts, references or similar examples gratefully received. It comes from a Roman site in the north of England.

If anyone who is going to the PZG in Portsmouth on Saturday would like a closer look let me know and I'll see if I can bring it along.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Julia

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vvden4mh00qix1a/AADaj4G3jgqGB-OCx2ElFfrOa?dl=0

Dr Julia E M Cussans