I will mention only that two things seem to be overlooked quite regularly in canid literature.

The first is that dwarfism is not very common among canids, and of course as noted, dwarfism must be understood as an endocrine (or maybe in some instances neuroendocrine) condition. That is not to say that chondrodystrophy did not occur occasionally by genetic accident, but the statistical likelihood of finding an archaeological genuine canid dwarf is quite low.  Looking between about 10000 and maybe 7000 or so years into the past, there was more size and shape variety among domesticated dogs than seems to have been assumed historically.  For example, one of the Koster dogs was quite small, whereas the Cherokee Sewer Site dog in Iowa (the one with hypertrophic osteopathy--or hypertrophic osteoarthropathy if you prefer) was very large (maybe a species cross or maybe not?). The Stilwell dog was about the size of a modern field strain of English Setter, but see below.

The second thing is that it can be hazardous to compare ancient and modern domestic dogs without considering chronology.  During the mid- and late-Victorian periods, humans began manipulating dog conformation by selective breeding, and as we know, more often than not, the outcomes were not positive for the dogs in a health sense.  Humans of the 20th century can claim the dubious distinction of making the Victorian activities light-years worse. Thus, modern dogs have not the same breeding background as ancient dogs because of the varying and often truly stupid gene pool isolation that humans caused and continue to cause. Thus, the definition of what is "naturally occurring" could not be applied today as it might be prior to the late 1800s.

Some day we will better understand genus Canis, but I suspect that I will have been on the other side of the grass for a long time, by then.

den

Dennis F. Lawler DVM, FNAP (USA-Distinguished Scholar)

   Center for American Archaeology (research associate)
   Illinois State Museum (adjunct in paleopathology)
   Pacific Marine Mammal Center Laguna Beach CA (population diseases)
   Past Associate Editor, International Journal of Paleopathology