De : Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [[log in to unmask]] de la part de Stallibrass, Sue [[log in to unmask]]
Date d'envoi : vendredi 22 mars 2019 11:00
À : [log in to unmask]
Objet : Re: [ZOOARCH] fostering and skinning lambs

Watching Countryfile recently, Adam Henson fostered a triplet onto a ewe who had one lamb. He already knew that she was pregnant with one not two lambs and should be able to foster an extra one. He used a plastic bucket: one of those soft wide flexible buckets with two handles like a wide shopping bag or laundry carrier, and delivered the ewe's one lamb directly into the soft container, immediately followed by the birth waters. He then swiftly put the triplet in with the newborn lamb and birth waters and sloshed them round together like two infants in a bath, making sure that he rubbed the birth waters into and all over the coat of the triplet.

I hadn't heard of the need for the foster lamb to smell not just like the 'missing' lamb but to smell of the mother before, but this accords with what Louisa was saying about the dead lamb having to smell of its mothers mik. Which would preclude the use of a stillborn's skin.

I dont know how widespread this practice is or was- certainly easier and quicker than skinning a dead lamb and also means that you don't have to kill an orphan (though I agree with Louisa- astrakhan etc was valued). But it does depend on two things: having the ewes all close together when lambing so that you can quickly move one live orphan to another birthing ewe and this is most lkely to occur in an enclosed space: lambing pen, shed etc rather than out on the hill/commonland/marshes etc, and being prepared with the simple item of a suitable watertight container (probably very easy- all sorts of leather/skin/bark available)

interesting thread (like the let-down controversey of milking with or without the calf present)

bw Sue