From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Peter Popkin <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 13 March 2019 14:25:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] Shovel Testing

Hi Kevin et al.

I acknowledge that the following is not a standard zooarch post so feel free to stop reading now - but in response to Kevin's question I can give you the view of 'shovel testing' in Ontario.

Archaeology in Ontario is done under conditions imposed by the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport's (MTCS) 2011 Standards and Guidelines for Consultant Archaeologists. This is a 168 page rule book that we all play by. In advance of development, if a property is deemed to have archaeological potential, a survey is done. In agricultural fields, or any other land that can be ploughed, survey is done by field walking at five metre intervals. When the land cannot be ploughed - woodlot, residential lot, city park etc. - survey is done by test pit survey (or shovel testing), also at five metre intervals. Here are the test pitting rules:

This survey method involves systematically walking the property along regularly spaced transects, excavating small pits by hand at regular intervals and examining their contents.
1. Test pit survey only on terrain where ploughing is not possible or viable, as in the following examples:
a. wooded areas
b. pasture with high rock content
c. abandoned farmland with heavy brush and weed growth
d. orchards and vineyards that cannot be strip ploughed (planted in rows 5 m apart or less), gardens parkland or lawns, any of which will remain in use for several years after the survey
e. properties where existing landscaping or infrastructure would be damaged. The presence of such obstacles must be documented in sufficient detail to demonstrate that ploughing or cultivation is not viable
f. narrow (10 m or less) linear survey corridors (e.g., water or gas pipelines, road widening). This includes situations where there are planned impacts 10 m or less beyond the previously impacted limits on both sides of an existing linear corridor (e.g., two linear survey corridors on either side of an existing roadway). Where at the time of fieldwork the lands within the linear corridor meet the standards as stated under the section on pedestrian survey land preparation, pedestrian survey must be carried out.
2. Space test pits at maximum intervals of 5 m (400 test pits per hectare) in areas less than 300 m from any feature or archaeological potential.
3. Space test pits at maximum intervals of 10 m (100 test pits per hectare) in areas more than 300 m from any feature of archaeological potential.
4. Test pit to within 1 m of built structures (both intact and ruins), or until test pits show evidence of recent ground disturbance.
5. Ensure that test pits are at least 30 cm in diametre
6. Excavate each test pit, by hand, into the first 5 cm of subsoil and examine the pit for stratigraphy, cultural features, or evidence of fill.
7. Screen soil through mesh no greater than 6 mm.
8. Collect all artifacts according to their associated test pit.
9. Backfill all test pits unless instructed not to by the landowner.

There are about three more pages detailing what to do when you find archaeological resources, alternative strategies when working in northern Ontario and on the Canadian Shield and other situations that I won't regurgitate here. If you're keen you can find the full document here: http://www.mtc.gov.on.ca/en/publications/SG_2010.pdf

cheers,
Peter