Hi Alec
There is a version of this that I have experimented with walking live on social media using twitter and Viewranger or Social Hiking.
Both platforms were designed to be able to follow walkers and see their social media postings. Social Hiking is amazing as it will aggregate several walkers' social media from the same walk and aggregate repeated walks over the same route/area over time.
The concept is: a walker walks to the live remote instructions of another for whom the route is significant and well remembered, observing and commenting via twitter or text.
It was quite fun to do the walk 'blind' with the 'remote' person giving instructions/directions etc. I was interested in the affective experience of both.
Delays in routing tweets/texts introduced a random edge for the walker.
This is a concept I never fully worked through to a protocol for this as other stuff took over. I would be very interested in developing this.
More info on the platforms used here:
http://www.walknowtracks.co.uk/tools.html

best wishes
Richard