Happy Pi Day!

Pi day 2019 is Thursday, 3.14.  Feel free to celebrate on your own that day.  We'll celebrate together on Saturday evening, March 16th starting at 2*pi (6:28 pm).

Pi is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. And a good reason for a party. We will celebrate two ways:
1) Eat pi(e). 2) Prizes for creative estimates of pi.

Pi comes up in all kinds of ways in everyday life -- we just don't think about it every day.
The rate at which the tread wears on your tires: related to pi!  The time between successive pushes of a kid on a swingset: related to pi!!  The frequency of precession of hydrogen atoms, needed to create MRI images: related to pi!

Saturday, we'll estimate the value of this ubiquitous constant in different ways, creativity encouraged! If you'd like to bring food or drink, please feel free (but there will be plenty). All the  better if you use it to calculate pi!!  The event is during dinner time this year, so depending on whether people bring savory pies vs. sweet ones, you may want to make plans to eat something healthy before or after coming by. I am sure I've also forgotten to add someone to the invitation -- please forward along if you know someone who would enjoy a pi party.  Thanks for taking part in this ridiculous tradition.

When:           6:28 PM Saturday, March 16, 2019
Where:          1713 14th Ave. South

Directions:    It's near 5 points south on 14th Avenue between 19th and 17th St.
Limited parking on street.  Just come in the front door, or come around to the backyard.
It's a yellow bungalow.
Phone:          205 983 3700
Pi:                 The ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter.  And a good reason for a party.

- Kristina

Kristina Visscher, Ph.D.
UAB Department of Neurobiology
[log in to unmask] | http://labs.uab.edu/visscher/