Hi Larry -

My howler was a case of my fingers apparently autocorrecting the statement
- I did send a correction immediately afterwards but I guess you missed
this.

For anyone else: Larry is correct! I meant to say the misconception was
that *phases of the Moon* are caused by the shadow of the Earth.

Can vouch also that Alice would have meant a permanent dark side.

Best wishes,
Jenny

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019, 17:37 Dr. Larry Krumenaker, <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> [...]
> reason to step forward.
>
> As an astronomy writer, especially once as publisher of a magazine for
> astronomy teachers, and as a former instructor in science education at the
> University of Cologne and at Seoul National University, I dealt often with
> misconceptions in teachers as well as the general public.  First, one must
> be careful about what one labels a misconception versus what is merely poor
> education on the topic, and second, one must watch the semantics and
> linguistics of the statements.  Two very similar but even slightly
> different wordings of a statement can create totally different conceptions
> of the topic.
>
> Jenny, I have to question your statement that a misconception is that
> lunar eclipses are caused by the Earth's shadow.  Last time I saw one (just
> a few months ago) that WAS the Earth's shadow on the Moon.  Now if you
> meant that the Earth's shadow actively sought out the Moon to eclipse it,
> of course not.  But the semantics of the statement are not wrong, just
> unclear.
>
> Alice, you stated that it is a misconception that the Moon has a dark
> side.  No, it is not a misconception.  It has a dark side.  All objects in
> the Solar System (other than the Sun!) have a dark side. They are all half
> in darkness, half in light.  What has to be said, in all deference to that
> renown authority, Pink Floyd, is that there is no "permanent" dark side to
> the Moon.
>
> FWIW, in my workshops and classes for teachers and future teachers I
> taught them a pedagogy for unteaching misconceptions.   Basically, they
> have to create models that had to be used to try out all the different
> misconceptions *using the same model for all of them* and seeing
> how/if/what things or measures happened.  I can assure you that untaught
> even the most ingrained misconceptions!
>
> Finally, since only a few people here know me, let me introduce myself...I
> am an astronomy-trained science writer and occasional educator, formerly a
> long-time member of the NASW, currently a member of the International
> Science Writers Assn. (ISWA) and its most recent Past President.  I have
> been a freelancer since the early '90s with lots of articles published, but
> more recently into book writing, in astronomy and history (not always in
> the same book).  After nearly three years in Germany I returned
> (regretfully and unwillingly) to the USA.
>
> Dr. Larry Krumenaker

> to [log in to unmask] with one of the following messages (ignoring
> text in brackets) • signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • set psci-com
> nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail
> (to resume getting messages) Contact list owner at
> [log in to unmask] Small print and JISCMail acceptable use
> policy https://sites.google.com/site/pscicomjiscmail/the-small-print
> Contact Jisc Helpline: Email: [log in to unmask], Telephone: 0300 300 2212

psci-com how-to:
Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask] If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send requests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]