From: David Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 18 March 2019 16:07
To: Glenford Mapp; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Architectural developments for 5G?

Glenford

Interesting perspective and I share your frustrations!

Declaring an interest here in my commercial life – I am a member through Dell of the Automotive Edge Computing Consortium (AECC) which is looking at the non-realtime aspects of Connected Vehicles currently.

Pulling out specific comments and posting top-down which those unencumbered by the idiosyncrasies of the Microsoft suite will find annoying (sorry ‘bout that):

“Right now we are still trying to store and process stuff in the centre of the Internet and only move to the Edge when we have to but this has to change”

Yes, but we don’t have an architecture that allows us to do that by-design of 3GPP well into Rel 16.  We can move the centre closer to the edge (translate – pick up the UPF and anchor point and place it down at the cell-site/pre-agg/aggregation as-appropriate) but quite frankly all that does is break mobility and keeps the same protocol choices in play.

“networking, processing, storage/caching: all need to have low latency”

Totally agree but today if you were to put Wireshark onto the last-mile between the eNB and the S-GW, you can see as-many-as 12 headers for the data.   That is power, time and processing overhead which is insignificant for my kids watching YouTube (ermmm) “stuff” but wasteful for critical data/IoT, etc.

“Heterogeneous Networking at the Edge:”

Where is the edge?  Could it be WITHIN the vehicle?  Today it is at N6/SGi – no choice there.  Do we actually need to push data anywhere?  If we had a distributed data-model coupled with in-network compute/storage (i.e. make the elements the cloud) with defined policies (replication, push, security, etc) does that remove the need for the latency we think we seek?   Is IP the correct protocol to try to be doing this with?

“networking community, the 5G world, storage and processing people need to get together and bash out the interfaces that are needed”

I’m not sure that it is just the interfaces.   I think we have an architectural problem borne of the history and reality of the wired Internet (and by wired Internet I also mean today’s mobile networks which from an IP perspective are static).   There are other aspects of ownership of the network attachment points which will be difficult to address – today we have clear lines of demarcation both in the stack and in the admin but much of that collapses if we start to break the siloes.   I can also for-see a time when we have a single transport network with multiple service operators much like the Network Rail/TOC model (or more successfully, the 400kV and 132kV grids).

“So we need to talk”

YES WE DO!   Happy to help put something together…

David