I used the face recognition component for this project -
http://www.catchingtherain.com/portfolio/analysing-and-enriching-a-photographic-collection-with-the-google-vision-api/

I've also been looking at the text recognition/extraction for a couple of
projects and it looks very promising.

As Mike says, beware of costs!  Basically you can get a combined total of
ca 40,000 requests per moth within the free allowance but after that it
goes crazy. However, do look into Google's non-profit status. This started
off with giving a large monthly Adwords budget but they have certainly
extended it now to Maps API calls and I need to check but i hope this has
(or will be) extended to Vision.

Oh, and for anyone who just wants to see what it does and crucially try out
some of their own content there's a great 'Try the API' tool if you scroll
down a bit on https://cloud.google.com/vision/

Ping me on or off list if you have any questions.

James

---
James Morley
Projects: www.catchingtherain.com