Where an LTI link is copied in the VLE from old course to new course, it is given a new resource_link_id which we will have never seen before, and so is treated as a brand new link, and the academic gets to choose what to link to. The thing we can't do at the moment in Moodle is tell from an LTI link where that copied link came from, so have no way to do any fancy guesswork.

Some VLEs (Canvas being one as you know) can release some contextual history using custom variables, but we're still working out the best way to handle this across all the VLEs as the actual type of contextual history available varies and so makes the 'relinking' logic complex.

Tim

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 14:47, Stephen Graham <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Are you sure about that Tim? We’ve always been told that when we roll over the LTI links “break”? We’ve never rolled over so not speaking from experience!  If the link still works after a roll over, but points to the old archived list then that means that people will be editing the wrong list – surely? I think I’d rather have it breaking then carry on working to an old list. Sorry if I’ve mis-understood this!

Stephen

From: Talis Aspire Users <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Tim Hodson
Sent: 22 March 2019 14:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Rollover questions

Hi Kevin,

When the LTI resource_link_id is associated with a section on a list, and the list is subsequently archived, then the LTI link will continue to work for as long as the Archived list exists.

Thanks

Tim

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 11:38, O-Donovan,K <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Can't resist a bit of rollover chat last thing on a Friday!

I was going to post this query earlier in the week, but decided to leave it until today, for fun.

It's been a while since I've managed a rollover in conjunction with an LTI integration in Moodle, so apologies if these are basic questions and have been covered before.

Let's say sections of a 2018/19 Aspire list are LTI embedded in 2018/19 Moodle. Then the Aspire list gets archived at rollover in August 2019, and Moodle also "rolls over" (or whatever the terminology is) so the 2018/19 iteration has a "frozen" status, i.e. you can discover it, but it is not editable.

Am I right in thinking that those LTI embedded Aspire list sections will still be visible in the "frozen" Moodle, even if the Aspire list itself has been Archived and is no longer discoverable via the main search page or visible in "My Lists" ?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin O’Donovan
Library Acquisitions Manager
Content and Discovery Group
10 Portugal Street
London WC2A 2HD
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: +44(0)20 7852 3683

Tim Hodson
Consulting Manager

Talis
www.talis.com
support.talis.com
Twitter: @talis

M: +44 (0) 7808 776986
E: [log in to unmask]

Talis is a brand name of Talis Education Ltd which is a company registered in England and Wales.

To unsubscribe from the LIS-TALIS-ASPIRE list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=LIS-TALIS-ASPIRE&A=1