My clarification bits:

> (HR) Weeding is the responsibility of the Academic Liaison Librarians (though whenever a new edition arrives in stock, we get an alert from Content Services/Metadata pointing out that there are x older editions and where they are, and encouraging us to weed them).... /  In terms of the reading lists, again how ALLs handle this depends on the subject and their relationship with their academics. Some would contact the academic and ask first before updating the edition on the list

So are your content services team divorced from the process of weeding entirely, apart from the notification process?
Do you have a system to ensure that the old editions are actually weeded by the ALLs? And then do they delete the LMS records, or is that part of the process bounced back to your Content Services team?

Content Services don't do weeding or withdrawal (they're currently a very small team). The Academic Liaison Librarians (or more likely AL assistants) would physically pull the items off the shelves. Withdrawing the holdings from the LMS (and stamping Withdrawn etc) is admin work which is farmed out around whichever library assistants have time to do it - often Customer Services or Extended Hours staff when sitting on quiet desks. Withdrawn items then generally go to a book recycling/resale company, with a few (eg relatively recent but superseded editions) being offered for sale for £1 to students.

There's no system in terms of ensuring the old editions are actually weeded - we just hope people will be efficient!

All the best,
Hazel

Kevin O’Donovan
Library Acquisitions Manager