We've done self-guided tours/treasure hunts (seconding the idea of chocolate prizes!), online self-guided tours (using eg Powerpoint or video) with Moodle quizzes afterwards - the self-guiding element can reduce staff time, or at least shift the staff time to the tour preparation in the summer when it tends to be quieter (and having prepared the tour you can use it for as many groups as you need to...) How well it works probably depends on the nature of your student bodies and whether they will participate, whether academic staff are prepared to make it compulsory for them to do the quizzes, etc.

I increasingly feel with inductions that "less is more" - most students probably don't remember, at the very beginning, much more than "there's a library, it's got cool stuff, and there are friendly helpful staff". Any more detail than that and they're overloaded and will have to come back later and ask again anyway - so probably the single most important message we want ours to take away from induction is "ALWAYS ASK FOR HELP"- whether that's in person, on our social media, by email, or via our increasingly-popular live chat. Students will only remember most information at the point they need to know it, which probably isn't when we give it to them!  So the other advantage of virtual tours/presentations is that they are always there to be revisited - if you put them on your VLE or Web site then students who've forgotten, missed the session, are international students and didn't grasp it all the first time, etc, can get themselves a recap...

All the best,
Hazel
---
Hazel Rothera MA, PCTHE
Academic Development Team Leader & Academic Liaison Librarian, Education
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
OBU Learning & Teaching Fellow
Oxford Brookes University Library

Monday & Friday: Headington Campus, Oxford OX3 0BP, tel: 01865 485072
Tuesday-Thursday: Harcourt Hill Campus, Oxford OX2 9AT, tel: 01865 488220

Rothera, H (2015) Picking up the cool tools: Working with strategic students to get bite-sized information literacy tutorials created, promoted, embedded, remembered and used. Journal of Information Literacy 9(2), 37-61.