Hi

We're a departmental library with no undergraduates and 3 types of user - taught masters students, PhD students and staff.

Our MSc students have a limit of 14 ILLs per year free of charge and this seems to work fine. In the few years I've done the ILLs no one has tried to go over or questioned the limit. (As a health library we're also able to source quite a few ILLs for free from the NULJ scheme which keeps our BL costs down)

PhD students are entitled to 'unlimited' ILLs but 'at the discretion' of the library so we have the final word in principle though actually we've never really had to rein anyone in, at least in my time here.

Staff mostly order ILLs with a project budget code to charge to. But they're also able to request ILLs free of charge for 'other purposes' including bid preparation, professional development and teaching preparation. There's no set limit for these but no one has ever been excessive. People will make a couple of requests now and again.

Our separate departmental library and its ILLs service exist because of the type of work/study done in ScHARR and the dept has a separate fund to cover the free ILLs (separate from our book funding). We're totally independent of the main University of Sheffield Library in both operation and funding. (they have their own ILLs service for the rest of the uni)

In short we don't have a problem with abuse of the free of charge ILLs services on offer (but having library discretion is a reassuring backup). We have the occasional non-collection but not often. Being only postgrads may make a difference!
Good luck with yours!
Magda