Dear colleagues,

on March 18th, information about a data leak at Elsevier was published. User
credentials without encryption could be obtained from the web.

<https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/vbw8b9/elsevier-user-passwords-e
xposed-online>
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/vbw8b9/elsevier-user-passwords-ex
posed-online

As of now there is no other public statement about this incident. The Data
Protection Officer Helen Gainford ([log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ) was the only person with a substantial reply to
my inquiries.

Helen Gainford said that all persons affected by this incident will receive
notifications from Elsevier or already have received such. Nevertheless I
asked her for the names of such persons which belong to my institution
because these messages from Elsevier might be considered as advertisement,
SPAM, etc. and thus be ignored.

I received the names of the four persons from my institution which were
affected and wrote directly to them. This is a precaution measure other
institution should take as well because other services might be affected as
well if users have the same credentials at other services.

Best regards,

Bernhard Mittermaier