Deep earthquakes: Observations, experiments and explanations.

RAS meeting, 10th May 2019, Burlington House London.

Deep earthquakes are those more than 60 km below the Earth's surface, and their origin is still enigmatic.  It seems most unlikely that the same mechanism responsible for faulting at the surface can cause deep earthquakes when confining pressures are so high.  However, recent advances in experimental and computational techniques, plus the rapid increase in the quality and quantity of seismic and geophysical data, have the potential to significantly advance our understanding of deep earthquakes. In this one-day meeting covering seismicity from 60 to 700 km deep, we aim to encourage discussion of the current state of our understanding of deep earthquakes and generate new ideas on how to tackle the long-standing question of their origins and what they can tell us about other processes in the Earth.

Presentations will be a mixture of solicited talks, with a lunchtime poster session.

Abstract deadline – 12th April

Funding to support attendance by early career researchers (PhD students, postdocs and early-stage staff) is available.  Please email Simon Hunt ([log in to unmask]) with a short estimate of costs by the abstract deadline to be considered for support.

Invited speakers: Alex Schubnel (Paris), Hiroo Kanamori (Caltech)

The meeting is at the home of the Royal Astronomical Society in London. It takes place the day after the UKSEDI meeting (http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfbpko/uksedi.html) which is also in central London.

Website: https://ras.ac.uk/events-and-meetings/ras-meetings/deep-earthquakes-observations-experiments-and-explanations

Registration and abstract submission: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScu6fVNF6ZdPffw-fvBGHxWvavt_ioDBpouWs1XPlemnkwpnA/viewform

For enquiries contact Simon Hunt ([log in to unmask]) or Andy Nowacki ([log in to unmask]).

To unsubscribe from the GEOPHYSICS list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=GEOPHYSICS&A=1