Dear colleagues,

With the abstract deadline fast approaching on Monday 11th March, please consider submitting an abstract to Supergene deposits, gems, and non-metallic ores at the 15th Biennial Meeting of the Society for Geology Applied to Mineral Deposits (SGA 2019), which will be held at the University of Glasgow from 27–30 August 2019.

In this session we are keen to explore how supergene deposits, including gem placer and non-metallic ores are formed, concentrated, and preserved at the surface. We are particularly interested in the effects of climate, tectonics, and landscape evolution on such deposits and the potential implications for future exploration.

Session title:
Supergene deposits, gems, and non-metallic ores

Keynote speakers:
Paulo Vasconcelos (University of Queensland): Single and Multiple Weathering-Erosion Cycles in Supergene Ore Genesis
Boris Chauviré (Université Grenoble Alpes): Opal: A Supergene Gem and Implications for Geological History

Session description:
Although supergene deposits, gems, and non-metallic ores may at first appear unrelated, they all generally require some interaction with surface processes to make them economically viable to mine. For example, chemical weathering of porphyry copper deposits can double or even triple Cu grades, while tropical weathering of ultramafic rocks can generate lucrative Ni laterites. Similarly, gems such as diamond, ruby and sapphire from different types of deposit are often only worth mining when they have been eroded, transported, and redeposited in a concentrated placer deposit. These supergene processes are also of importance for the formation of fine gems such as sedimentary opals and agates, turquoise, malachite, rhodochrosite, amber and other minerals; and determine the geologic and/or geographic origin of coloured gems in placers is particularly important for sale on the international market. In this session we welcome contributions that explore the formation, concentration, and preservation of supergene deposits, including gem placer and non-metallic ores around the world. We are particularly interested in the effects of climate, tectonics, and landscape evolution on such deposits and the potential implications for future exploration.

Session conveners:
Frances Cooper, University of Bristol, UK ([log in to unmask])
Gaston Giuliani, CRPG/CNRS, France ([log in to unmask])

Abstract submission is OPEN on the SGA 2019 website and will close on 11th March 2019.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Gaston or me. We hope to see you in Glasgow!

Best wishes,

Frances Cooper and Gaston Giuliani

Dr Frances J. Cooper
Senior Lecturer