Dear All

The deadline for submission of abstracts has been extended until 18th March 2019

CFP Institute of Australian Geographers Conference 2019 ‘Geographies of emergence, divergence and convergence’
9-13  July 2019<x-apple-data-detectors://1>, Hobart, Tasmania  www.iagc2019.com<http://www.iagc2019.com/>

Session Title: Granular Geographies: sensing the materiality of stone, sand and soil
Sponsored by:  IAG Cultural Geography and the Critical Development Study Groups

Convenors:  Uma Kothari (University of Manchester and University of Melbourne) and Vanessa Lamb (University of Melbourne)

Stone, sand and soil are composed of small grains, yet we rarely think of their singularity, instead focusing on the discrete objects that they collectively constitute. In this session, we explore the sensory, affective and productive capacities of these substances, and seek to better conceptualize how these granular entities are integral to the material world. We aim to investigate how their excavation, accumulation and circulation produces human and non-human entanglements, and connects people and places to create granular geographies. We also invite paper that examine how political tensions around these processes are intensifying with their growing demand and increasing scarcity.

Please submit your abstracts (150 words) online via the conference website  https://cdesign.eventsair.com/2019-iag/abstracts  and email the session convenors [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. The deadline for submission of abstracts is 18 March 2019<x-apple-data-detectors://6>.

With best wishes

Uma Kothari and Vanessa Lamb

Uma Kothari | Professor of Migration and Postcolonial Studies | The Global Development Institute | 0.016 Arthur Lewis Building | The University of Manchester | Oxford Road | Manchester | M13 9PL [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | Tel +44(0) 161 275 2896 | www.gdi.manchester.ac.uk<http://www.gdi.manchester.ac.uk/>

VC Fellow | School of Geography | University of Melbourne | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | https://geography.unimelb.edu.au

http://www.everydaylives.manchester.ac.uk/

Recent Publications
2019 Everyday Life and Environmental Change, The Geographical Journal (with A Arnall) https://rgs-ibg.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/geoj.12296

2018 Consuming Colonial Imaginaries and forging postcolonial networks: on the road with Indian travellers in the 1950s, Mobilities (with T. Edensor)
https://doi.org/10.1080/17450101.2018.1476020