Hi Julian,

This can also be perfumed within Frealign (and maybe the latest version of cisTEM?). We described the application of a focused classification approach on an individual asymmetric subunit basis here:

Passos, D. O., Li, M., Yang, R., Rebensburg, S. V., Ghirlando, R., Jeon, Y., et al. (2017). Cryo-EM structures and atomic model of the HIV-1 strand transfer complex intasome. Science, 355(6320), 89–92. http://doi.org/10.1126/science.aah5163

And the evaluation of distinct focused classification strategies (with symmetry expansion) here:

Zhang, C., Cantara, W., Jeon, Y., Musier-Forsyth, K., Grigorieff, N., & Lyumkis, D. (2018). Analysis of discrete local variability and structural covariance in macromolecular assemblies using Cryo-EM and focused classification. Ultramicroscopy. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultramic.2018.11.016

Best,

Dmitry

Dmitry Lyumkis
Assistant Professor
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies
10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037
T: 858-453-4100 x1155