From: CCP4 bulletin board <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Beatriz Gomes Guimaraes <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2019 5:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ccp4bb] Interesting pattern on a crystallization drop

Dear all,

I would like to share with you a surprising pattern I found when examining some crystallization plates (attached figures).

It is less obvious looking the photos, but apparently the "lines" are formed by precipitated protein and there are some "bubbles" with small drops inside. I wish they were microcrystals but I do not think this is the case.

I was suprised by the symmetry !

And it is not completely random because for the same condition the difference between the two drops are : protein alone ("hexagon") and protein + ligand ("rhombus")

crystallization condition is:

0.01 M Cobalt(II) chloride hexahydrate

0.1 M Tris pH 8.5

20% w/v Polyvinylpyrrolidone K 15

Have you seen anything similar before?

Thank you for your comments!

Beatriz

Beatriz Guimarães
Laboratory of Structural Biology and Protein Engineering
Instituto Carlos Chagas - ICC / FIOCRUZ Paraná
Rua Prof. Algacyr Munhoz Mader, 3775   Bloco C
CIC 81350-010
Curitiba - PR, Brasil
Tel.:+55(41)3316-3225/2104-3438