Dear Danielle,

In the Pacific we commonly wet sieve and sometimes (bucket) float everything in the sea, including those from "dry" sites (but nothing is ever really dry in there, or at least not desiccated for sure)...and the main issue for me has been that material will almost never dry so frequently grow mold (rather than crystals) and the wood charcoal becomes too crumbly.

I usually either try to rinse the sieved archaeobot material in fresh water back at the site of residency when we have running water or back in the lab, and then have everything in cloth bags (or I pierce the plastic bags if we only have those) for gentle drying.

I work mainly on wood charcoal and never have had so bad consequences (fragmentation, crystals and other deposits) as to make the ids difficult - well, not more difficult than what they were intrinsically;)...

I'm totally for salt-water sin:) - adaptation to field conditions!

cheers

emilie

Dr Emilie Dotte-Sarout

Postdoctoral Fellow
ARC Laureate Project
The Collective Biography of Archaeology in the Pacific – A Hidden History
School of Archaeology and Anthropology,
The Australian National University

Honorary Research Fellow
Archaeology, School of Social and Cultural Studies,
The University of Western Australia