Speaker: Dr Hayley Jones, Bristol Medical School, University of Bristol.

Date: Thursday 14th March 13:00-14:00

Venue: Dinwoodie Lecture Theatre, David Weatherall Building
https://www.keele.ac.uk/connect/howtofindus/maps/keele-campus-guide-colour.pdf

Abstract: The optimum threshold or cut-off at which to operate a
diagnostic test is usually a key question for clinical practice.
Standard methods for meta-analysis of test accuracy don’t facilitate
answering this question, since they (i) don’t provide summary estimates
of accuracy across the full range of thresholds, and (ii) can only
synthesise a single pair of sensitivity and specificity from each study,
despite studies often reporting data at more than one threshold. Several
models have recently been proposed for a unified meta-analysis of all
available data, via assumptions about the underlying distributional form
of test results. I will describe a multinomial random effects model,
fitted in WinBUGS, which synthesises test accuracy data across studies
reporting at different and varying numbers of cut-offs. The model allows
for a flexible range of underlying distributions of test results,
through estimation of a Box-Cox transformation parameter. I will present
examples including meta-analysis of the accuracy of B-type natriuretic
peptide in the diagnosis of acute heart failure. In a recent
collaboration with researchers at McGill University and with Gerta
Rücker (University of Freiburg), we compared results from three
alternative models fitted to data from 45 studies reporting on accuracy
of PHQ-9 in diagnosing major depression. Each model was fitted to two
alternative versions of the data: (i) that available from the study
publications, (ii) the full individual participant data (IPD). I will
present results from this study, in particular showing that our model
fitted to the ‘published’ dataset well approximated the IPD.

Dr Ivonne Solis-Trapala
Deputy Lead, NIHR Research Design Service, West Midlands (Keele Hub)
Senior Lecturer in Medical Statistics
Research Institute for Primary Care and Health Sciences
and Keele Clinical Trials Unit
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
Keele University
Staffordshire, ST5 5BG
Room DJW1.51, e-mail: [log in to unmask]

SIGNOFF allstat