If vascular access is inaccessible in critically ill patients then it is reasonable to use intraosseous blood for Hb & general biochemistry analytes which should be comparable to peripheral blood. I would have centrifuged the sample and analysed the supernatant as any routine blood sample but append a comment that this is and intraosseous sample.

Best regards,

Mohammad

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of MAGHSOODI, Negar (SURREY AND SUSSEX HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST)
Sent: 29 March 2019 19:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Intraosseous samples

Hi All

Has anybody been asked for processing intraosseous samples from critically ill patients?
We have had received such requests a couple of times in our lab and each time refused to process them.
ED Consultant is now chasing it with me. How can I help them?

Kind regards
Dr Negar Maghsoodi
Consultant Chemical Pathologist
Surrey and Sussex Health Care NHS Trust

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual who posts and they are solely responsible for all message content. The ACB does not monitor posts. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

Virus Scanned and Verified by St Helens and Knowsley Health Informatics

DISCLAIMER: This e­mail may contain confidential and/or proprietary information some or all
of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If any addressing or
transmission error has misdirected this e­mail, please notify the author by replying to this e­
mail and destroy any copies. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e­mail.

The information contained in this email may be subject to public disclosure under the
Freedom of Information Act 2000. Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure,
the confidentiality of this email AND YOUR REPLY cannot be guaranteed.

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual who posts and they are solely responsible for all message content.  The ACB does not monitor posts.

ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk