Thanks, I see your point Sam.

What seems to be missing is a simple, lightweight site option for all the grid services needed to interface to a local batch system.

VAIB is a great solution except that we still want a local batch system. I guess most sites need that?

I'm not clear what GridPP is recommending, because I thought it was VAIB.

From: Testbed Support for GridPP member institutes <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Sam Skipsey <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 12 February 2019 09:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: VAC with VM condor VM to support local batch jobs?

So, my belief was that the entire point of VAC (originally) was to
avoid needing a local batch system if you just want to support Grid
jobs [ that is, that the VAC vms would precisely not support local job
scheduling, because you can simplify a local site if all the
"scheduling" happens at the remote end - in, for example, a DIRAC
instance, or other VO-owned job-submission-to-pilots framework]. In
general, I've always argued that if you have a need to support local
users and run jobs locally, this justifies having an actual batch
system.

Sam