We need the HTCondor batch system anyway, so I suppose the pain is the CE.

We have yet to install it though which is why I am looking at options. We have to migrate away from CREAM and Torque+Maui as well as from SL6 to CC7.

I don't follow developments closely enough so I would appreciate advice on whether HTCondorCE is considered stable and ready for production,  whether the documentation is good enough for a sysadmin (not a Grid expert) to install and maintain it, and where that documentation is.

I thought I heard that the accounting was not working yet for example?

We were previously thinking of ARC CE because it seemed the most popular but also upon investigation seems complicated to deploy.

It's not just the CE but also the accounting (apel), and sbdii, Argus - although the latter two may also be needed for storage?

If the CE is a single point of failure should we not run at least two?

Then setting up the vast number of pool accounts and other WN configuration.

CVMFS and squid we would need anyway for local users.

I think it would be helpful if there would be recommended (either GridPP or wider) options for all the services required of a Tier2 site.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Simon