Dear Sam

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. You are quite right that there are (at least) two ways of modelling a two-factor design in DCM. These options could be compared using Bayesian model selection. I will make this answer generic by calling your two factors A and B, and treating each factor as having 2 levels (i.e. a 2x2 design). There are therefore four experimental conditions: A1_B1, A1_B2, A2_B1 and A2_B2.

Option 1: Drive the network with only level 1 of factor A (A1_B1 and A1_B2), leaving the other level unmodelled. Modulate particular connections using factor B, e.g. by computing an input vector (parametric regressor) which is the simple main effect of A1_B1-A1_B2.

Option 2:  Drive the network by all four conditions (these could be combined into a single ‘Task’ input to capture the mean of the experimental conditions). Modulate particular connections either by the individual conditions, or contrasts of them. For example, the main effect of factor A: (A1_B1+A1_B2)-(A2_B1+ A2_B2) and the main effect of factor B: (A1_B1+A2_B1)-(A1_B2+A2_B2).

The second option is typically used when there’s an implicit extra factor, induced by having a baseline condition, inter-trial intervals or null trials. In other words, when in addition to the 2x2 design, there’s an extra factor of Task vs baseline. In this case, Task can be used as the driving input, leaving the baseline unmodelled. The main effects of each factor (A and B) can then be used as modulatory inputs on particular connections. There is no general answer as to whether Option 1 or Option 2 is best, hence my suggestion to do a Bayesian model comparison to help make the decision.

Regarding how to implement your 2 x 3 factorial design with factors condition (active vs passive) and valence (positive, negative, neutral). I will assume you have some unmodelled null trials or inter-trial intervals serving as a baseline. Under option 2, you could create two conditions in your GLM: active and passive. For each of these, have two parametric regressors: emotion vs neutral and positive vs negative, coded with 1s and -1s. These split your 3 levels of valence into 2 differences. Set orthogonalisation to false in the GLM specification, so the software doesn’t alter the regressors. In the DCM, use the active and passive conditions as driving inputs, and use each of the four parametric regressors as modulatory inputs where you think is appropriate in your network. (I suggest you answer yes to mean-centering in the DCM specification, i.e. DCM.options=true).

I hope that helps – do let me know if anything’s unclear.

Peter