From: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Christian Gaser
Sent: vendredi, 22 février 2019 22:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SPM] Comparison CAT12 and classical SPM12-DARTEL VBM pipeline

Dear Michaël,

the different handling of the Jacobian scaling as John suspected was only used in the older VBM toolboxes (in short I only used the non-linear part of the Jacobian which allowed to skip the additional TIV correction in the statistics. This is like scaling the segmentations with a TIV-like measure).

Ian Malone convinced me after some discussions that the use of TIV as nuisance parameter in the stat. model has several advantages and is more robust. Therefore, in CAT12 I use the same strategy as in SPM12 where modulation is using the whole Jacobian and TIV is used as nuisance parameter or as globals scaling (if TIV is correlating with your parameter of interest), so this might not cause the different effects you have noticed.

There are many differences in the preprocessing approaches between SPM12 and CAT12 and as so often different methods give you different results (even between the CAT12 versions there are differences in the results). In CAT12 I additionally apply de-noising, local adaptive segmentation and other methods that can influence the results. The only hint I can give is to choose the approach that better fits to your hypothesis. It might also help to lower the thresholds to get a closer look at the differences.

Best,

Christian