*apologies for cross-posting*

At a time when it appears that the world is becoming more fragmented and nationalist agendas are gaining prominence, it is important to consider the role that international networks will have in supporting cross-border collaborations and partnerships.  The 2019 Working Internationally Conference: Working Together to Achieve More explores the power of networks to address global problems, facilitate collective problem solving, increase knowledge sharing and transparency, and promote social cohesion.

To view the programme and book tickets visit:
https://wiconf2019.eventbrite.com

The conference features prominent speakers from inside and outside the museum sector who will share stories about how networks have been leveraged to change the world.

Our first keynote speaker Lourdes Heredia, Next Day Planning Editor - Languages BBC World Service<http://uk.icom.museum/news/view/?title=/wi2019-conference-keynote-speaker-lourdes-heredia-bbc-world-service/> (the world's largest network of broadcasters), will speak about the BBC News series Crossing Divides<http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/ab5b643e-4dc0-4430-92a0-89d0118ec455> which featured stories of how different individuals and communities are coming together across political, social and economic lines.

Our second keynote speaker is Gerd Elise Mørland, Director of Learning at the Munch Museum<https://munchmuseet.no/en/> in Oslo, Norway.  Gerd Elise has a special interest in investigating new intersections between art, politics and the public.  She will talk about new ways of collaborating and networking, and explore how, in the digital era, the power has shifted from experts to consumers.  Museums can no longer set their agendas without taking into account the needs and interests of their audiences, so how do we meet the demands of the public in new and engaging ways, at the same time continuing to produce high-quality content?

Sophie Henderson, Director of the Migration Museum<https://www.migrationmuseum.org/>, and Dr Richard Benjamin, President of the Commonwealth Association of Museums<http://thecommonwealth.org/organisation/commonwealth-association-museums> and Head of the International Slavery Museum in Liverpool will lead the session on museums and migration.

In a panel session on The Power of Culture & Heritage Networks we will discuss how national and international networks can be leveraged to gain mutual benefit for all involved from the exchange of knowledge, skills, contacts and public profiles, as well as increasing the potential for collaborative projects between network partners.  The panel includes Julia Pagel, Secretary General of the Network of European Museum Organisations<https://www.ne-mo.org/> (NEMO); Claire Messenger, International Training Programme Manager, British Museum; Ella Snell, Manager of the British Library's Living Knowledge Network.

We will also be hearing about the great international work carried out by ICOM UK members. A series of case studies providing 'how to' advice on different types of international projects and activities will be offered during our 'Flash Session'.

In the afternoon there will be a How To session on international touring exhibitions, sharing top tips from the perspective of being both a partner in producing and receiving international touring exhibitions.

As the UK is scheduled to leave the EU in 2019, we will be convening a panel of museum experts to speak about imminent challenges and opportunities to the UK museum sector.  The panel will be chaired by Anaïs Aguerre, Director of Culture Connect in conversation with Tim Reeve, Deputy Director & Chief Operating Officer at the V&A; Sinead McCartan, Director of Northern Ireland Museums Council; Lukas Nohrer, Art Historian & Museologist, who has recently completed research on museums and Brexit;

The day will be interspersed with opportunities for formal and informal networking with colleagues. Lunch and refreshments will be provided.

Ticket prices:
ICOM UK members, NMDC members, British Library staff £49
Non-members £75

https://wiconf2019.eventbrite.com

Dana Andrew
Executive Director (part-time)
ICOM UK

T: +44 (0)3330 143 875 (UK landline)
M: +44 (0)7813 062 607 (UK mobile)

http://uk.icom.museum
P Before printing, please think about the environment