But these ‘pumpkins’ were in fields near a broad brown river in Africa thought by the ORG editors to be the Volta in what used to be the Gold Coast. And various members of the melon family have been grown in Africa for thousands of years. So - with his ‘archaeological imagination’ Kipling could have been on firm ground ?

Good wishes to all

John R

Sent from my iPhone