Anyone have any thoughts on this message from Jim Goodwin?

Mike Kipling

From: Jim Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 15 February 2019 05:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Pumpkins? In 1100 AD in England??

I don't know where to send this, so I hope
you do, and can forward it appropriately.
Thanks.

In "The Knights of Joyous Venture", about 3/4 through,
Kipling writes, "... we broke into a broad, brown river by
a hut in a clearing among fields of pumpkins."

Pumpkins are a kind of squash, and the squashes generally
are new-world plants (right?). So this jarred.

However, etymologically, there seems to be some kind of
justification.

A superficial googling yields: 1640s, alteration of pompone,
pumpion "melon, pumpkin" (1540s), from Middle French
pompon, from Latin peponem (nominative pepo), from...

So a Norman of the period might have used "pompon" and
meant melon.

I wonder what Kipling was thinking, and what he expected
his readers to understand by "pumpkin". Would Englishmen
of Kipling's time even have used the word for European
melons?

A possible note for the Readers Guide, which by the way I love.

/jwg