Dear Jim,

Certainly we are talking of an adventure that began on 2nd August 1100, but
we are not to imagine a field of  Algonquian *askutasquash* . The name
'pumpkin', ws taken by British settlers *to* the new world and used for the
squashes they found there, which are so clearly rough Yankee attempts at
melons.

So, as you suggest, the questions are:

Would there have been a field of melons in Sussex?

Would Sir Richard have used the word 'pumpkin' to describe them?

For the first, there seems little problem, as long as we are not imaginimng
a field of *sweet* melons, which would involve time travel over five
hundred years.  As you have found, the *pepon (also as peponia, pepones and
peponas)* seems to have been a member of the *Cucumis melo *grouping, grown
as a vegetable (like a ripe cucumber or courgette), and is certainly
mentioned in such works as Simeon Seth's  *Syntagma de alimentorum
facultatibus*  *, * which dates to the late 11th century.

A Kipling reader will recognise the suspicion that Kipling would have
enjoyed finding reference to such crops in Norman England, and would then
certainly have included a passing reference (in a way which has annoyed
some critics of his 'knowingness'). Hence, I suspect that, perhaps
somewhere in the annals of the Sussex Archaeological Society (he was a
member) there may be reference to *pumpkins. * This does not, of course,
prevent that 'jarring' feeling.

We do have some of the bound volumes of material from the S.A.S, but a
quick scan of the indices around the right time brought no joy!

So, whether to put the use of the word *pumpkin* alongside 'thirty thousand
horses' as a simple error, or to set out to prove that this was a clever
reference to a little-known fact, is up to you. I do agree that there
should be some reference in the Reader's Guide, but I defer to John
Radcliffe..

All good wishes, and thank you for such an interesting pointer.

John

John Walker
Honorary Librarian
The Kipling Society