Middle range theory - see page 3:
http://ramesesproject.org/media/RAMESES_II_Theory_in_realist_evaluation.pdf

Geoff

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 at 17:25, Shamiram Zendo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

PLEASE NOTE: When you click 'Reply' to any message it will be sent to all RAMESES List members. If you only want to reply to the sender please remove [log in to unmask]'" target="_blank">'[log in to unmask]' from the 'To:' section of your email.

Hi,

Is there a paper that explains the differences in more detail, which can be shared with us?

Shamiram Zendo, Ph.D. (Candidate.)
Health Information Science
Faculty of Information and Media Studies
Western University, London, ON, Canada
c. 519 643 6160

From: Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Andrew Booth <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2019 11:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tying myself in knots please help

PLEASE NOTE: When you click 'Reply' to any message it will be sent to all RAMESES List members. If you only want to reply to the sender please remove [log in to unmask]'" target="_blank">'[log in to unmask]' from the 'To:' section of your email.

I am sure that others can offer more reasoned and substantiated explanations.

For me a major difference is at the level of abstraction. Mid range theories are further away from your study data than the demiregularities.

To illustrate,  a midrange theory relating to Trust could explain the importance of the relationship between intermediaries such as Citizen Advice Bureau staff and their clients and, in a completely different study, between patients with unexplained medical symptoms and their GPs.

Demiregularities would explain how in a variety of advice offering settings Citizen Advice Bureau staff e.g. Housing support, employment advice and consumer advice the staff member first has to establish a climate of openness, followed by honest communication etc.

In my mind demiregularities relate to patterns that exist across different variations in context, population, intervention etc whereas mid range theories persist across substantively different contexts.

Be interested if others agree or explain differently.

Best wishes

Andrew