Hi Mattias,

I was interested to read your description of your use of a markup.

What really puzzled me, however, was your comment,

" I also teach them how to make a design space analysis of their sketchbooks so that they identify the dimensions of variation between their ideas. This allows them to find the limits of the reasonable design space, whithin which a good solution should be located. And the can position alternatives strategically within that space."

My understanding and experience of solution space analysis is different.

I find it is better to develop an abstract representation of the problem and environment (importantly avoiding anything at all to do with looking at solutions).

Then it is possible to identify an n dimensional environmental space with m variables  and k relationships between them (where n, m and k may be large numbers). The 'problem' if it exists in this space can also be represented  in terms of a subset of n, m and k

From there it is first possible to get some idea of the functional 'shapes' of the environment and the problem. Then, this offers opportunities to identify potential abstract characteristics of areas of solution space  that better address the problem.

Only then, after the design solution space analysis is completed, is it appropriate to look for physical characteristics of solutions that match to the optimal solution areas of the design space.

A simplified practical version of this (and software to process the maths) was described by Alexander in Notes on the Synthesis of Form.

Identifying a range of design solutions first and assuming that range  identifies the limits and characteristics of the solution space seems a little restrictive?

Cheers,
Terry
==
Dr Terence Love,
School of Design and Built Environment, Curtin University, Western Australia
CEO, Design Out Crime and CPTED Centre
PO Box 226, Quinns Rocks, Western Australia 6030
 +61 (0)4 3497 5848
ORCID 0000-0002-2436-7566
==