In December the Household Projections team released 2016-based Household Projections for England (Stage 2 – household type breakdowns). <https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationprojections/bulletins/2016basedhouseholdprojectionsinengland/2016based>  This publication provides estimates of Households in England by Household type.
Main points:

  *   The number of one-person households in England is projected to increase by 26% between 2016 and 2041, driven by increases in the number of people aged 65 years and over living on their own.
  *   The number of people aged 90 years and over living on their own is projected to more than double, from 241,073 in 2016 to 587,724 in 2041.
  *   The number of households with dependent children is projected to remain broadly similar between 2016 and 2041, with around a quarter of households having dependent children by 2041.
  *   Almost all the projected increase in households by 2041 will be among one person and multiple adult households without dependent children.
Statisticians’s quote:
"Today’s figures show that the number of people in England living on their own is projected to increase by over a quarter over the next 25 years, driven mostly by increases in the number of older people living alone. In contrast, the number of households with dependent children is projected to remain broadly similar. These figures reflect the potential impact of an ageing population and lower numbers of children being born on future living arrangements.”
Joanna Harkrader, Centre for Ageing and Demography, Office for National Statistics.
This follows on from Stage 1 Household Projections<https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationprojections/bulletins/2016basedhouseholdprojectionsinengland/2016basedhouseholdprojectionsinengland> that were released on 20th September
“We’ve also published a blog, What our household projections really show<https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2018/10/19/what-our-household-projections-really-show/>, summarising the differences between projecting households and forecasting housing need.”
Follow Population Statistics Division on Twitter @RichPereira_ONS
Apologies for cross posting.

For the latest data on the economy and society, consult our website at http://www.ons.gov.uk

Please Note:  Incoming and outgoing email messages are routinely monitored for compliance with our policy
on the use of electronic communications