Hi Everyone,

First post to the list [image: 😬]

I was trying to explain green access options to a colleague recently and we
were scrutinizing the publisher agreement of his accepted journal article.
This guy is smart but he was pretty bamboozled and as a consequence has
still not published a green version of his manuscript.

The academic literature seems to use different language to that of the
publishers. The open access academic literature talks about pre and post
prints, which seem pretty neutral. However, the publishers talk about the
Version of Record which sounds more value-laden to me. It kind of says:
this is the Real True Version and all the other versions are some lesser
shabby versions. Which can perhaps put people publishing pre-prints (green
access).

There is also the issue that the pre-print (or Author Original Manuscript
in publisher jargon) may be substantially different from the final
published version. This is what put my colleague off archiving a pre-print
in the end: he felt that he had made so many changes following the
reviewers' feedback that the pre-print was not the "real" article and was
too different to the published one.

I published an article a few years ago about Moodle in the the Journal of
Open Learning. I was delighted with myself! Then a friend who works in
Moodle told me she were trying to access the article but were being asked
to pay $45. She said: “So you’ve written an article called ‘Opening up to Open
Source: Looking at how Moodle was adopted in Higher Education” in a journal
called ‘Open Learning’ but the article is not actually open access?” “Eh
.
yes” I stuttered. (AAAH CRINGE!).

I did publish then put a pre-print versio of the article in my
institutional repository. Moreover, the journal made the article free to
access for a while, such as during openeducation week. Great, I thought,
now my article is open.

But afterwards I realised that it wasn’t really. It was “free” to read on
the journal website but not forever and not actually true open access. More
Foureé or fake open access.

I wrote a commentary about this recently. The article is not too long but I
also tweeted the key points:

https://twitter.com/eam0/status/1100126769057853442

Really looking forward to the special issue in Distance Education on OEP
and hope you figure out some open access options.

Best wishes,

Eamon

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 11:10 AM Leo Havemann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Maha,
>
> I think we are on the same page here, I agree green OA versions can be
> less discoverable, but just to clarify as I said before there is no embargo
> period for uploading a preprint to an institutional repository, personal
> website, academic social network, wherever you wish.
>
> Best
> Leo
>
> On 6 Feb 2019, at 16:20, Maha Bali <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Thank you Javiera that offers a really good and concise summary on gold
> and green OA.
>
> I'm just going to add a couple of points.
>
> I am able to hold all the following views in parallel
>
> A. I respect the editors of this CfP and their efforts to try to make this
> issue OA, because I believe in advocating for OA even where green OA exists
> especially when topic is open edu.
>
> B. I usually use Sherpa Romeo (though of course publisher website also) to
> check the green OA policy of journals. While one can use green OA -
> researchers searching and seeking an OA version of an article don't always
> know where to look. Google scholar is good at finding these green OA
> versions of course so hopefully more people find them. However, they are
> easier to find if posted on institutional or subject repositories - and for
> many journals incl DE, there is an embargo period on those (the Author
> post-print version that is not the final publisher version):
> http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo/search.php?issn=0158-7919&type=issn&la=en&fIDnum=|&mode=simple
>
> I don't think I've misunderstood this particular case... but correct me if
> i am wrong.
>
> Maha
>
> Maha Bali, PhD
> Associate Professor of Practice, Center for Learning and Teaching,
> American University in Cairo
> http://blog.mahabali.me
>
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2019, 4:16 PM Javiera Atenas <
> [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
>> Dear community
>>
>> Please see linked a beginners guide to Open Access, so we can avoid
>> further confusion, and hence, have more informed discussions, as if you
>> write a paper for this (or any other journal - book) you can always deposit
>> your pre-print in your website or repository
>> https://wonkhe.com/blogs/intro-to-open-access/
>>
>> If anyone is still not very familiar with how open access works, we would
>> be happy to share some more guidelines, so you can further become
>> acquainted on how fellow open movements operate.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Javiera
>>
>> On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 at 13:54, 'Maha Bali' via Open Education Platform <
>> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> Ah. I always thought the Author Manuscript also had an embargo period
>>> before it can be on an institutional Repository...
>>>
>>> Maha Bali, PhD
>>> Associate Professor of Practice, Center for Learning and Teaching,
>>> American University in Cairo
>>> http://blog.mahabali.me

> [...]

*Dr. Eamon Costello*
Open Education Unit, National Institute for Digital Learning
Dublin City University | Dublin 9 | Ireland
+353 1 700 8793
Office: Room DG03, Bea Orpen Building

Web: *https://www.dcu.ie/connected/people/eamon-costello.shtml
<https://www.dcu.ie/connected/people/eamon-costello.shtml>*
DCU Connected: http://connected.dcu.ie

--
*

*SĂ©anadh RĂ­omhphoist/Email Disclaimer*

*TĂĄ an rĂ­omhphost seo agus aon
chomhad a sheoltar leis faoi rĂșn agus is lena ĂșsĂĄid ag an seolaĂ­ agus sin
amhåin é. Is féidir tuilleadh a léamh anseo.
<https://www4.dcu.ie/iss/seanadh-riomhphoist.shtml>*

*This e-mail and any
files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for use
by the addressee. Read more here.
<https://www4.dcu.ie/iss/email-disclaimer.shtml>*

*

--