Important to respond to the consultation online with these comments Michala.

Sent from my iPhone

On 15 Feb 2019, at 09:30, Michala Marling <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I thought the new education standards would feature continuity highly and be more specific about continuity of carer, what with the 1 liner in the last pre-reg standards being seemingly interpreted in such a variety of ways. With some universities incorporating a module where students followed women from booking to discharge and others you only had to do 1 AN and 1 PN visit for it to tick the ‘continuity’ box. This is a misinterpretation that runs deep throughout maternity services and seems to be a huge barrier. The research we have isn’t about antenatal and postnatal continuity, it’s all 3 areas. If we look at other research, for example a woman with a medical condition who required input from an obstetrician, we wouldn’t discount the importance of that input being offered during birth? So why is it seemingly OK to discount the compelling evidence of improved outcomes where continuity of midwifery care is concerned, I wonder?!

If the future of midwifery is continuity of carer then this should start with the students and the education standards need to be more specific. Having read through the new proposed ones it’s still just a small part of it, although is more prominent in the new midwife proficiency standards, just not the education ones?!

Michala

Sent from my iPhone