Celebrating 190 Years

Indeed!

– referring back to our research on caseload midwifery, mentioned in my previous post, we also undertook a diary analysis study to look at working patterns and time spent. We found that while working patterns changed, the amount of time midwives spent working in the scheme we studied (mixed low—high risk caseload of 40 women per year across all settings for birth) did not. The observation study helped us to understand why –continuity helps a midwife to be more effective with the working time.

I recommend people if very interested in this issue read Trudy Stevens chapter in my book on the subject, where she discussed how midwives’ time orientation shifted with adaptation to working in this form of practice, and also how institutional structures may impede midwives in doing this, in either model of care.

Stevens T . Time and Midwifery Practice. In McCourt C. 2009. (Ed) Childbirth, Midwifery and Concepts of Time. Oxford: Berghahn. 2009.

http://www.berghahnbooks.com/title/McCourtChildbirth

Christine McCourt

Professor of Maternal Health & Centre Lead

Centre for Maternal & Child Health Research

School of Health Sciences

City, University of London

1 Myddelton Street

London EC1R 1UW

Tel: 0207 040 5863

Mob: 0791 235 1476

Twitter: @ProfMcCourt

ps://blogs.city.ac.uk/mchresearch/files/2015/06/cute-newborn-babycute-newborn-babies-21k444f-624x390.j

Centre for Maternal and Child Health Research | City ...

The Centre for Maternal and Child Health Research carries out high quality research that aims to improve the health and care of women, children, families and communities.

Read more...

Want to further your clinical and academic career? To find out more about City, University of London’s MSc Advanced Practice Midwifery programme please click here.

cid:image002.jpg@01D39935.C983C990