Greetings all,
I was taught, back in the day, that sometime in the middle ages (probably the 12th c.) the position for praying changed from the 'orans' position (standing, eyes up, hands open at the sides) used in antiquity changed to the more familiar one of kneeling, head bowed over hands together, which I was taught was based on the ritual of homage to one's lord. IŽd like to ask about a third  possibility, head bowed (apparently) and hands open - on knees or elsewhere 'On knees' as in BedeŽs description of Oswald (HE III 12, 1) ubicumque sedens, supinas super genua sua manus habere solitus sit.  Is this a usual position for praying, aside from this description?  Even if the hands are not on oneŽs knees, one is just looking into them?
Thanks in advance,
Meg