Apologies for cross posting

*CALL FOR PAPERS: Fan Studies Network Conference 2019*

*Fan Studies Network Conference 2019*

*28th & 29th June 2019*

*School of Film, Media and Communication, University of Portsmouth, UK*

Keynote Speakers:

Dr Nicolle Lamerichs, HU University of Applied Sciences, Utrecht, The
Netherlands

Dr Lori Morimoto, Independent Researcher, USA

In 2019 the Fan Studies Network will be travelling to the UK’s south coast
and the historic naval city of Portsmouth. We are delighted to announce
that the seventh annual Conference is taking place in the School of Film,
Media and Communication at the University of Portsmouth. Offering a diverse
two-day programme our conference will sit alongside historic sites such as
the Dockyards, HMS Victory and the Mary Rose while also attracting
presenters to explore our cult fan trail which includes comic book,
collectibles and record stores, video and board game lounges, and museum
exhibits. Fans of Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes can see a permanent
collection of artefacts and fans of Charles Dickens can visit his
birthplace. The conference will continue FSN’s long-standing tradition of
offering an enthusiastic space for interdisciplinary researchers at all
career stages to connect, share resources, and further develop their
research ideas. In addition to panel presentations, the two days will
feature a variety of social events, workshop discussions, and our famous
speed-geeking sessions.

We are honoured to have Nicolle Lamerichs and Lori Morimoto as our keynote
speakers for 2019. Both have contributed hugely to the field of fan
studies, leading the community in new and important directions. Nicolle is
senior lecturer and team lead at Creative Business at HU University of
Applied Sciences, Utrecht. She is the author of *Productive Fandom:
Intermediality and Affective Reception in Fan Cultures **(Amsterdam UP,
2018) and co-editor of **Fan Studies: Researching Popular Audiences* (
interdisciplinary.net, 2014). Lori is an independent researcher who has
published widely on transcultural and transnational media fandoms in a
range of seminal collections and leading journals, including: *Fandom:
Communities and Identities in a Mediated World, Second Edition*, *The
Routledge Companion to Media Fandom*, and *A Companion to Media Fandom and
Fan Studies*; *Participations*, *Transformative Works and Cultures*, *East
Asian Journal of Popular Culture* and *Mechademia: Second Arc*. We are very
excited to have both of them come to Portsmouth as keynotes for FSN2019.

We invite abstracts of no more than 300 words for papers that address any
aspect of fandom or fan studies. We also welcome collated submissions for
pre-constituted panels of four papers. We encourage new members, in all
stages of study, to the network and welcome proposals for presentations on,
but not limited to, the following possible topics:

·         The business of fandom (entrepreneurs, affective economics)

·         Branding fandom (promotional culture, marketing and PR)

·         Fandom, copyright and the law

·         Links between fandom, participatory culture and the political
moment

·         Forms of anti-fandom, non-fandom or toxic fandom

·         The intersections between celebrity and fandom

·         Fan activism in response to contemporary political/world events

·         Fan space, place and geographies

·         Fandom and material cultures

·         Fan Studies methodologies

·         Fandom and controversies

·         Producer/fan interactions and relationships

·         Fan conventions

·         Fan labour

·         Sports fandom

In connection with our location and keynotes, the following topics may be
of interest:

·         Music fandom

·         Literary fandom (Sherlock Holmes/Dickens)

·         Subcultural identities

·         Cult movies and filming locations

·         Transcultural and transnational fandom

·         Fandom, race and ethnicity

·         Cosplay and productive fandom

·         The use of social media and its language (e.g. memes, hashtags,
GIFs)

We also invite short abstracts (100-200 words) from anyone wishing to
present as part of our popular ‘speed geeking’ session. This would involve
each speaker presenting a short discussion on a relevant topic of their
choosing to a number of small groups, and then receiving instantaneous
feedback, making it ideal for presenting in-progress or undeveloped ideas.
If you have any questions about this format of presentation, please don’t
hesitate to contact us.

Please send any abstracts/enquires to: [log in to unmask] by the
end of* Sunday
24th March, 2019.* Please include up to three keywords for your submission,
which will help us to place your paper in an appropriate panel, and a short
biographical note.

You can join the discussion about the event on Twitter using #FSN2019,
follow us @FanStudies or visit *http://www.fanstudies.org
<http://www.fanstudies.org/>*.

Dr Lincoln Geraghty

Reader in Popular Media Cultures

School of Film, Media and Communication
University of Portsmouth

Eldon Building North
Winston Churchill Avenue

Portsmouth

PO1 2DJ

Tel: +44 (0) 239 284 5754

--

Dr Lincoln Geraghty FHEA, FRSA
Reader in Popular Media Cultures
School of Film, Media and Communication
University of Portsmouth

Guest Editor, Popular Culture, Fandom and Tourism, Special Issue of *The
Journal of Popular Culture*:
http://www.journalofpopularculture.com/special-issue-popular-culture-fandom-and-tourism/

Recent article:

'Hallowed place, toxic space: "Celebrating" Steve Bartman and Chicago Cubs'
fan pilgrimage' <http://www.participations.org/Volume%2015/Issue%201/19.pdf>,
*Participations: The Journal of Audience and Reception Studies* 15.1, May
(2018)
Comment: The State of Fandom Studies 2018: Lincoln Geraghty and Nicolle
Lamerichs (Pt. 1)
<http://henryjenkins.org/blog/2018/4/16/the-state-of-fandom-studies-2018-lincoln-gergahty-nicolle-lamerichs-pt-1>,
Henry Jenkins, Confessions of an Aca-Fan

News: *Pizza delivery for Walter White: the pros and cons of fan tourism
<https://theconversation.com/pizza-delivery-for-walter-white-the-pros-and-cons-of-fan-tourism-86658>*,
*The Conversation*

Editor, *Popular Media Cultures: Fans, Audiences and Paratexts *(Basingstoke:
Palgrave, 2015)
http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/popular-media-cultures-lincoln-geraghty/?isb=9781137350367

Editor, *Directory of World Cinema: American Hollywood 2 *(Bristol:
Intellect, 2015) http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/books/view-Book,id=5046/

Most recent book: *Cult Collectors: Nostalgia, Fandom and Collecting
Popular Culture* (London: Routledge, 2014)
http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415617666/
Senior Editor: *Cogent Arts & Humanities*:
https://www.cogentoa.com/journal/arts-and-humanities

The Primary Research Group for The World Star Wars Project:
http://www.worldstarwars.net/

Member of PLACIM (Platform for a Cultural History of Children's Media):
http://www.placim.org/
Editorial Board Member: *Journal of Fandom Studies*:
http://journaloffandomstudies.com/

Address:
Eldon Building North
Winston Churchill Avenue