Thanks everyone for your replies on and off list - even by this groups high
standards I've had more than I expected and certainly more than I can
digest in one go, but once I have taken it all in I'll aim to share
something back to the group.

The Wikidata angle seems promising and this query shared by Martin Poulter
in the Wikidata+GLAM Facebook group -
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Wikidata.GLAM/ - is an interesting example.
In his own words "It finds creators who are represented in the Ashmolean
Museum data set who also created other objects known to Wikidata. Feel free
to replace the Ashmolean Museum's Q number with that of your favourite
institution" - http://tinyurl.com/yc2mj73x

Just need everyone to get more objects into Wikidata!

Cheers, James

---
James Morley
Projects: www.catchingtherain.com