Hi Andrew,

Here's what I told Anna:

"I think the best solution is to use Single App Mode instead of Guided Access. This is trickier to set up but once done the application will always launch. This is best done in conjunction with a mobile device management system with your IT department - but it sounds like this may not be feasible - so you can also do it yourself using a mac and the Apple Configurator software that can be freely downloaded from Apple.
There are a few steps involved:

1) You need to switch all of the kiosk iPads into supervised mode using Apple Configurator, which will reset them completely
2) You then install your application on the iPad
3) You remove the iPad passcode and do any other setup (e.g. switch off auto sleep etc.)
4) You use Apple Configurator to switch the iPad into Single App Mode, and select the VLC application as the app to run

From then on the iPad will do nothing except run that one app, and if power to the device fails for any reason and the iPad shuts down then when power is restored the application will automatically start again. The iPad can only be taken out of Single App Mode by reconnecting it to the mac that locked it in the first place and turning off single app mode on that machine.

Hope that helps!"

Best regards,

Nick